What? Confirmation is a three-year process designed to help students understand their faith. The years are broken down into Old Testament, New Testament, and Small Catechism. This year we are on the Small Catechism. Confirmation culminates in the ritual of Confirmation, also called Affirmation of Baptism. Students give their faith testimonies and pledge to live out (aka confirm) the faith in which they were baptized.
- Monthly confirmation classes, one Sunday/month, 3:00-5:30 PM. Classes are generally held on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday of the month, with some exceptions. We join with youth and pastors from Peace, Hope and Holy Trinity Lutheran Churches for monthly classes. The location of monthly classes will rotate between the churches. See the calendar below for more details.
- Student participation in Sunday worship. Students may serve in worship as readers, acolytes, ushers, or communion assistants. Students are asked to serve in at least 4 worship services a year.
- Sermon notes. Students will take notes on 6 sermons per year using the “Sermon Notes Form.” They will hand these in to Pastor Sarah.
- Mentoring. Students will get together with mentors for a variety of activities 5 times during the year.
- Service. Students will give 4 hours of service through the church. This can be Crop Walk, weeding the yard, cleaning a room, raking the leaves of an elderly member, etc.
- Shekinah, the DC Metro Synod youth retreat.
- Week-long Confirmation Camp, at Mar-Lu-Ridge. Each student should attend camp at least once during the three years of confirmation, but you are welcome to attend all three years!
- Final Confirmation retreat and Rite of Affirmation of Baptism. On or around Pentecost Sunday of their 8th grade year, students will be confirmed. A 3 hour retreat on a Sunday afternoon TBD will take place beforehand. Youth who are being confirmed will be strongly encouraged to give their faith statement.
There is a registration fee for some activities in our program. Please speak with Pastor Sarah if you need assistance in paying any of these fees. Cost should not be a barrier for any child to participate.
If you have a child who would be eligible for confirmation, please email our parish administrator.