Confirmation at Peace
Who? Students 6th – 8th grade.
What? Confirmation is a three-year process designed to help students understand their faith. The years are broken down into Old Testament, New Testament, and Small Catechism. This year we are on New Testament. Confirmation culminates in the ritual of Confirmation, where students give their faith testimonies and pledge to live out (aka confirm) the faith in which they were baptized.
- Weekly Confirmation Classes, Sunday mornings, 9:30, September – May, following the Sunday School Schedule for holidays and breaks. You start on September 9.
- Monthly confirmation classes, one Sunday/month, 3:00-5:30 PM. Classes are generally held on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday of the month, with some exceptions. We join with youth and pastors from Faith and Hope Lutheran Churches for monthly classes and other confirmation events, and the location of monthly classes will rotate between Faith and Peace. See the calendar below for more details.
- Monthly At the end of each combined monthly class, students will be given readings and related questions to complete over the next month and submit at the next combined class.
- Participation in Sunday worship. In addition to attending worship, students are expected to serve worship as readers, acolytes, nursery helpers, and/or ushers.
- Shekinah, the DC Metro Synod youth retreat, March 15-17, 2019.
- Week-long Confirmation Camp, July 2019, exact dates TBD. You are encouraged to attend camp at least once during the three years of confirmation, but you are welcome to attend all three years!
- Final Confirmation retreat. In the spring of the 8th grade year, confirmands will participate in a mini-retreat where you work on faith statements and banners. Date TBD.
May 12, 2019 is Confirmation Sunday. Normally we confirm on Pentecost Sunday, but Pastor Sarah will be on sabbatical then so we’re moving it up.
There is a registration fee for some activities in our program. Please speak with Pastor Sarah if you need assistance in paying any of these fees. Cost should not be a barrier for any child to participate.
Materials provided by Peace: Manna and Mercy, Here we stand Student Book, Bible.
Please bring a notebook that is dedicated to confirmation as well as a pen or pencil to each class.
2018-2019 Confirmation Schedule
- Sunday September 9th, First Day of Sunday School, 9:30 am. For the rest of the year, Sunday Confirmation follows the Sunday School Schedule.
- Sunday, October 21, 3:00 PM-5:30 PM First Monthly Confirmation Class. LOCATION: FAITH LUTHERAN CHURCH, 3313 Arlington Blvd, Arlington VA 22201
- Sunday, December 9, 3:00 PM-5:30 PM Monthly Confirmation Class. LOCATION: PEACE LUTHERAN CHURCH, 6362 Lincolnia Rd, Alexandria, VA 22312 in the Lauxman House.
- Sunday, January 13, 4:15 PM-6:00 PM Monthly Confirmation Class. LOCATION: FAITH
- Sunday, February 10, 3:00 PM-5:30 Monthly Confirmation Class. LOCATION: PEACE
- Saturday, March 9, time TBA. Service-learning experience.
- Friday, March 15-Sunday, March 17, 2019. Shekinah, the Metro DC Synod Youth Retreat for confirmation students.
- April 7, 2-5 PM PRE – CONFIRMATION RETREAT (for 8th grade students and at least one parent/guardian).
- Sunday, April 28, 3:00-5:30 PM Monthly Confirmation Class. LOCATION: FAITH
- Sunday May 12, Confirmation Sunday, 10:30 service.
- Sunday, May, 19, 3:00 PM-5:30 PM Monthly Confirmation Class for those who have not been confirmed. LOCATION: FAITH
- Confirmation Camp, DATES IN JULY TBD. Mar-Lu Ridge Camp, Jefferson, MD.
Teachers: Alison Lydaker, Norm Philion, Pastor Sarah Scherschligt: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a child who would be eligible for confirmation, please email our parish administrator.