The church council is the governing body of our congregation. Members of the council are elected for two year terms and can renew once, for a total of four years. The council meets on the third Thursday of every month. If you have a matter for the council, please email the president. Our current church council members are:
- Natalie Cain, President (Liaison to the Dream Green, Ministry to Others, Witness)Natalie was born and raised in North Carolina. She studied zoology at North Carolina State University before moving to the Washington, D.C. area, where she currently resides with her husband and two cats. She works as an Education Program Manager at the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) in Arlington and volunteers regularly with Simple Changes Therapeutic Riding Center in Lorton. She loves bookstores, traveling, Oxford commas, singing and ringing at Peace, and writing. She’s been a member of Peace for four years and has served as vice-president of the congregation for the past year.
- Marcia Dursi, Secretary (Liaison to the Stewardship Ministry) Marcia has been a member of Peace for 6 years where she served as Council secretary for the past 4 years. She conducted Adult Education sessions at Peace for many years. Marcia is the Information Literacy Librarian at Marymount University in Arlington VA. She is a graduate of LaSalle University in Philadelphia, The Catholic University of America, and George Mason University. Marcia’s hobbies include quilting and fiber arts, hiking, reading, boxing and kickboxing.
- Dan Hanner, Treasurer (Liaison to the Property Ministry) Dan works an economist, and the most recognized thing Dan Hanner has ever done is to have some of his work published in Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine. But life isn’t about recognition, it is about relationships, and his current goal is to build those within the Peace Community. He and his wife are originally from Minnesota/South Dakota, have lived in Washington DC area since 2005, and started attending Peace around 2013.
- Kathy Nice (Liaison to the Worship Ministry) Kathy has been a member of Peace since 1990. She met her husband, Jim, in the bell choir and they were married at Peace in 1993. They have been blessed with Jason, 17, who was baptized and confirmed at Peace, and Journalda, 13, who was baptized at Peace. Kathy currently participates in the bell choir, usher team and teller team. She has served as chair of a call committee and Sunday School/VBS/Confirmation teacher. Professionally, Kathy has worker as an Energy Analyst and is currently a math teacher at Annandale High School.
- Kara Danner (Liaison to the Children, Youth & Family Ministry) Kara grew up in a very large Lutheran congregation in Madison, Wisconsin, and loves the joyful, close, family oriented vibe at Peace. Her favorite childhood memories include decorating the sanctuary for Christmas and sleep away camp each summer at Bethel Horizons. In 1988 she traveled to San Antonio, Texas for the ELCA Youth Gathering along with 55 excited teenagers; it was a life changing experience. Kara and her wife are raising two young children, Mckayla, 4 and Peyton, 10. They were delighted to discover Peace in 2014 when looking for a welcoming church where they could baptize their daughter. Kara joined shortly thereafter and Kara and Annalise were married at Peace last spring. Also last spring, after more than 20 years working in Higher Education administration, Kara left her full time position to spend more time with her children and to further develop her work as a Leadership Coach. In addition to serving on council Kara co-facilitates Financial Peace University with her wife and helped direct the children’s Christmas Pageant last year. Kara dreams of joining Peace for mission work at Village of Hope in Haiti and of spending at least one summer with her family in Holden Village in Washington.
- Kurt Shultz (Liaison to the Mutual Ministry) Kurt grew up in the Lutheran church. Kurt’s father Arthur, was a Lutheran Pastor who served 25 years as a Lutheran missionary in Madagascar and ten years as a parish Pastor in a suburb of Sacramento, California. Kurt and Tracy and their two kids, Carmen and Yeison moved to Annandale in 2014 and shortly thereafter they found the wonderful community of Peace Lutheran. Kurt and his family joined Peace Lutheran in 2015 and was elected to the church council in 2016. Prior to coming to Peace, the Shultz’s lived in Panama for four years and were members of Balboa Union Church, a small non-denominational church located in the former Canal Zone. Kurt served for two years on the Balboa Union Church Council during their time there.
- Menna Asfaw (Liaison to the Fellowship) I was born and raised in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I came to the the US (Minnesota) in 1984, where I attended college and nursing school. After I graduated from nursing school, I worked as a nurse for 4 years then moved to Virginia in 1995. I got married and had a daughter, Meskel. After I worked as a nurse for 8 more years, I then became a stay at home mom and ever since then my hobbies include: singing, walking, cooking, reading and volunteer work. My family and I live in Springfield, Virginia with our dog Ziggy.
- Aaron Mulhollen (Liaison to the Adult Education) I was born and raised in the Johnstown, PA area; and at six-weeks old was the first member of my family to be baptized in the Lutheran church. I’m a veteran of the U.S. Army, graduate of the University of Pittsburgh (Hail to Pitt!), and I teach various geography courses and write my dissertation at George Mason for a living. I moved to the metro DC area in 2007 and met my wife Devon in 2010, married her 2012, and had our son Harrison in 2014. And I became a member of Peace in 2016, where I’m currently formulating a plan for our Adult Education Forum. My family and I live in the Lake Barcroft community, just around the corner. Growing up in Western PA, I grew to appreciate outdoor activities, especially hiking and camping. I’m also a computer hobbyist, and have developed skills over the years to become somewhat of a BBQ aficionado.
- Pastor Sarah Scherschligt
Constitution and Bylaws
Past Family Meeting Minutes