The church council is the governing body of our congregation.
Members of the council are elected for two year terms and can renew once, for a total of four years. The council meets on the third Thursday of every month. If you have a matter for the council, please email the president. Our current church council members are:
- Natalie Cain, President (Liaison to the Dream Green, Outreach and Advocacy) Natalie was born and raised in North Carolina. She studied zoology at North Carolina State University before moving to the Washington, D.C. area, where she currently resides with her husband and two cats. She works as a Senior Education Program Manager at the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) in Arlington and volunteers with Simple Changes Therapeutic Riding Center in Lorton. She loves bookstores, traveling, Oxford commas, singing and ringing at Peace, and writing. She’s been a member of Peace for five years and served as vice-president of the congregation from December, 2015 through June, 2017.
- John Clark and his wife, Sue, have been members of Peace since 1996. John served as financial officer in the late 1990s and 2000 and as chair of the Peace for the Future campaign. Now retired, he worked as an antitrust lawyer in the U.S. Justice Department, and later as a competition policy expert with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Paris, France.
- Lucy Gebre-Egziabher was born in Cairo, Egypt and raised in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia (of an Egyptian mother and an Ethiopian father). She earned her BS in Communications & International Relations from Wilson College in Chambersburg, PA and a MFA in Film from Howard University. She is a filmmaker and an Associate Professor of Cinema at Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA), Alexandria campus. She has been a member of Peace for over 10 years. For more information on Lucy Gebre-Egziabher. (link: https://blogs.nvcc.edu/lgebre/ )
- Dan Hanner, Treasurer (Liaison to the Property Ministry, Witness and Welcome) Dan works an economist, and the most recognized thing Dan Hanner has ever done is to have some of his work published in Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine. But life isn’t about recognition, it is about relationships, and his current goal is to build those within the Peace Community. He and his wife are originally from Minnesota/South Dakota, have lived in Washington DC area since 2005, and started attending Peace around 2013.
- Aaron Mulhollen (Liaison to the Adult Education) I was born and raised in the Johnstown, PA area; and at six-weeks old was the first member of my family to be baptized in the Lutheran church. I’m a veteran of the U.S. Army, graduate of the University of Pittsburgh (Hail to Pitt!), and I teach various geography courses and write my dissertation at George Mason for a living. I moved to the metro DC area in 2007 and met my wife Devon in 2010, married her 2012, and had our son Harrison in 2014. And I became a member of Peace in 2016, where I’m currently formulating a plan for our Adult Education Forum. My family and I live in the Lake Barcroft community, just around the corner. Growing up in Western PA, I grew to appreciate outdoor activities, especially hiking and camping. I’m also a computer hobbyist, and have developed skills over the years to become somewhat of a BBQ aficionado.
- Kathy Nice (Liaison to the Worship Ministry) Kathy has been a member of Peace since 1990. She met her husband, Jim, in the bell choir and they were married at Peace in 1993. They have been blessed with Jason, 17, who was baptized and confirmed at Peace, and Journalda, 13, who was baptized at Peace. Kathy currently participates in the bell choir, usher team and teller team. She has served as chair of a call committee and Sunday School/VBS/Confirmation teacher. Professionally, Kathy has worker as an Energy Analyst and is currently a math teacher at Annandale High School.
- Sarah Schill has been a Lutheran all her life and is happy to call Peace her church home since Spring 2017! She grew up attending Olivet Lutheran Church in Sylvania, Ohio, where she sang in the choir and served as a youth representative on the council. After graduating from Miami University (OH), she taught English in Germany for a year, and then moved to DC for graduate school at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS). She works as an economist, and in her free time enjoys singing in the choir at Peace, playing tennis, and spending time with her book club friends. She lives in Arlington with her 20 lb. Maine Coon cat, Klaus.
- David Whitten has been a member of Peace since 1994 with his wife Anne. Their two daughters, Brena and Rebecca were baptized and confirmed at Peace. David has served as chair of the Constitution Committee, on the Capital Campaign committee, and enjoys being in the choir and playing hand bells. He works as a contractor for the Missile Defense Agency in between watching the Nationals, Redskins, Wizards, and Capitals.
- Pastor Sarah Scherschligt
Constitution and Bylaws
Past Family Meeting Minutes